Connect IQ 3.0.0 Beta Now Available!
04/18/18 @ 01:51 PM
UPDATE 6/5: We are releasing Connect IQ 3.0 beta 2 today. Based on beta feedback we have received so far we are making additional updates into Connect IQ 3.0. This will change the timeline outlined below, but we think you will be excited about what’s coming. Keep watching this update for additional updates and beta firmware.
Connect IQ 3.0 is here! This is the largest update to Connect IQ we’ve made in a long time, and has many new core features to the platform.
- Music – In CIQ v3.0, we have opened the audio/music APIs so any third party can create and upload an audio or a music app to the CIQ app store. iHeartRadio & Deezer are the first of hopefully many providers to create experiences. The audio/music API allows a user to download up to 500MB of music on their wearable from their music account (initially iHeartRadio and Deezer) and to play music directly from the wearable without a phone.
- Maps – CIQ v3.0 allows developers to integrate Garmin’s onboard maps into their apps. The developer can present the map to the user, overlay routes or points, and have UI elements on top of the map.
- Messaging – For select developers, we are opening the potential for their CIQ apps to get actionable notifications. These developers will be able to push content from their service to a specific device using Garmin’s new push notification service.
We’ve expanded the developer tools, too:
- Menu2 – A greatly expanded menu framework that allows titles, subtitles, icons, and branded title bars.
- Byte Arrays – Useful for getting the most out of memory, byte arrays are one fifth the size of regular arrays.
- Cryptography – Connect IQ adds numerous hashing and encryption algorithms to the Toybox.
- Beat to Beat Intervals – Discover deep user information by reading the timings between heart beats.
- Bike Radar – Integrate bike radar information into your apps and data fields.
- Symbol Checking – The new Automatic Symbol Check (ASC) checks to make sure your methods, member variables, and objects exist at compile time while still staying true to Monkey C’s dynamic nature.
- More – Many bug fixes and small improvements as well.
We’re excited to share Connect IQ 3 with you. Today you can download the first SDK and a beta for the Forerunner® 645 Music. In May, we will be releasing Beta 2, which adds the mapping features, notifications features, and wider device support. Finally, we’ll be releasing Connect IQ on all devices mid-June.
One more thing—we talked about app trials last year, and now we are ready for you. Please contact the developer program to get the integration guide.
Get the Connect IQ 3.0.0 Beta SDK and Forerunner 645 Music beta firmware today!