The Garmin Communicator Plugin is an exciting new software program that transfers data between websites and Garmin GPS Devices. The Garmin Communicator Plugin API allows developers to integrate the Communicator Plugin into any website.
- Auto-detection of devices connected to a computer
- Access to device product information like product name and software version
- Read tracks, routes and waypoints from supported recreational, fitness and navigation devices
- Write tracks, routes and waypoints to supported recreational, fitness and navigation devices
- Read fitness data from supported fitness devices
- Geo-code address and save to a device as a waypoint or favorite
- Read and write Garmin XML files (GPX and TCX) as well as binary files.
- Support for most Garmin devices (USB, USB mass-storage, most serial devices)
- Support for Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome on Microsoft Windows.
- Support for Safari, Firefox and Chrome on Mac OS X.
Anyone is free to write software to do cool stuff using Garmin GPS data via the API. Here’s how to get started:
- Download and Install Garmin Browser Plugin
- Sign up for an API account key
- Try the cut-and-paste examples from the DeviceDisplay
- More advanced users can work at the DeviceControl level.
- Distribution (Recommended) – Download the distribution file and deploy the necessary scripts on your own site and access resources locally.
- Specific Hosted Version – Reference a specific version of the API hosted at the Garmin Developer website with the following URL format: http://developer.garmin.com/web/communicator-api-version .
- Latest Hosted Version (Use only for testing) – Reference the latest version of the API hosted at Garmin Developer website. Please note that referencing the latest version of the scripts has potential of breaking your code when files are updated on our server.
Note: Source code is distributed under the Apache 2.0 open source license. Find out more about the licenses.
Changes between releases are found in the Release Notes. The latest stable release may always be found at http://developer.garmin.com/web/communicator-api/. if you don’t want to risk breaking your page with each new release, point at the specific version that you developed against. However we recommend that you host your own copy of the distribution.